Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-170cs cabinet crack help needed

If anyone is interested here is some updates.

I tried the plexiglass trick used on guitars.  It was a failure for this type or crack.  I could see it 'possibly' working on another type crack but this crack no go.  Issues were the plexi was difficult to heat evenly enough with a gun to flex and mold to the piece with precision.  Once I got it REALLY close I found the next problem is the plexi was too stiff.  For this crack on the curve you need something to compress it back into position.  That wasn't possible with the plexi.

What I found seemed to work (so far it isn't dry yet) is the strap clamps.  I removed all finish from around the crack and dampened the area so it would flex and draw the glue in better.  Then brushed some 50/50 glue and water mix into the crack.  Compressed it and pushed it around.  The glue REALLY got in there good even where the crack was not opened but visible.  

I then used a sheet of wax paper and a small piece of 1/8 plywood dampened so it would flex and follow the contour of the cabinet easily over top of the crack.  Then two strap clamps (basically ratchet tie downs) around the cabinet and over the plywood.  I cranked em down good and I it seemed to compress that crack and damage back into a perfect curve.  This strap clamp worked amazingly well for the bottom frame so thought try it here as well.  Will update how it looks tomorrow after it dries.

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: 40-170cs cabinet crack help needed - by Arran - 05-02-2017, 09:38 PM
RE: 40-170cs cabinet crack help needed - by bastardbus - 05-06-2017, 01:07 AM
RE: 40-170cs cabinet crack help needed - by Arran - 06-15-2017, 10:52 PM