Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

B+ too high! Two different radios.

You bet Aaron, I know you have alot more experience in dealing with both 25- vs 60 cycle ac trans than I in your area. Ive ran across a few of the 25 cycle trans over the yrs also, that run higher B+ in cases where someone had added the dropping resistors,as they werent orig to the chassis.And most probably, as you say, because of all our higher line-voltages these days. It took awhile for the trans to get hotter than the 60hz types, but whoa, they did here.
In any case, I sure appreciate your input on this topic as Ive never had the opportunity to "A-B" the ( hz) differences as much as you have in the past. You bet, Mexicos used garage-sale finds 50hz TV ( garage-sale-specials) I purchased only cost me $5. each, so I didnt lose much, but learned alot in the interim.I used one of them in my workshop for about 3 months before it gave-up the ghost! Im sure all your orig 25-50hz vintage tube Radios will be fine on 60hz, or they would have already shown-signs of troubles by now.
I just missed a "sweet" Truetone D-723 on ebay (25 hz canadian model) tonite. I really like those sets for their beautiful dials! I have another (USA same 60hz model) here already fully restored & they are great DXers also! I also have another (spare) good-used 60hz tran from a exact parts D-723 US chassis to install on one if necessary. I got outbid, and missed it, darn ebayers with more money that I care to spend sometimes! The seller said it was working. I wanted to recap it, & see how long the 25 cycle tranny would last here since I have a 60 hz identical ac tran repl here to use as a A-B comparison.
Seems were all at odds from set-to-set these days due to higher line voltages. Vintage radios chassis are rugged & forgiving indeed! Im currently restoring a very nice un-molested Radiola 80 for a customer. All the tube filaments are still good, thats a +, especially since the tubes are all orig style "globe types"! The orig #45s radiotron (p-p) pair still test good, & I bounced them into another of my fully restored TRF sets. They still sound very good. The 80 rectifier orig clear globe tube was replaced with a blue-glass Arcturus 80 type & still works also.All the orig RCA chassis trans all test good as well as the choke, so once I get it re-capped, cant wait for it to belch-back to life! Gotta love all these old Radios indeed!! Icon_wink

Messages In This Thread
B+ too high! Two different radios. - by davemc - 02-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Re: B+ too high! Two different radios. - by rickd - 02-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Re: B+ too high! Two different radios. - by AI2V - 02-08-2009, 09:08 PM
Re: B+ too high! Two different radios. - by exray - 02-09-2009, 06:37 AM
Re: B+ too high! Two different radios. - by AI2V - 02-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Re: B+ too high! Two different radios. - by Arran - 02-10-2009, 10:36 PM
Re: B+ too high! Two different radios. - by exray - 02-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Re: B+ too high! Two different radios. - by Arran - 02-22-2009, 11:29 PM
Re: B+ too high! Two different radios. - by Arran - 02-24-2009, 12:19 AM
Re: B+ too high! Two different radios. - by Texasrocker - 02-24-2009, 11:26 PM