Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New member, with a new radio - 42-1011

Hello all!  Thanks for having me!

Yesterday, my girlfriend and I were browsing in a resale / thrift store which regularly has quite a bit of good furniture in stock.  We had gone looking for bookcases (alas, found nothing on that front), and were also looking for a small table or cabinet of some kind to have near the door, you know - for a bowl for keys and possibly a place for mail.  Near the front of the store we found this 42-1011 which we both really liked right away.  Obviously non-operable, and missing the speaker - the cabinet was in nice shape, and the chassis looked to be compete and unmolested.

It was marked with a $50 price, though having shopped there before, I know they are often negotiable on their prices.  We were approached by the staff, and asked if our interest in the radio was for a restoration, or for "one of those Pintrest deals".  It was quite obvious from her tone that she was not impressed by those who might hack up the radio.  We immediately expressed that our interest was for restoration, and that I did have one other antique console radio (A Montgomery Ward Airline 62-192).  We were immediately offered a discount to $25 if we were interested.  Needless to say, it came home with us.

Once home, and doing a bit more research, I've learned that the turntable in the cabinet is far from the original.  While disappointing, it did start an idea brewing for the radio.  First, my hope is to find someone to do the electronic restoration on it, as I know I don't have the time nor the skills to do this correctly.  So if anybody has recommendations - either for Philco experts, or someone who might be able to help my with my Airline's resto too - I'm very interested.

My second question is in regards to my plan for the radio.  As the original turntable is long gone, I was considering replacing the aftermarket unit with a simple shelf, and mount a Rasberry Pi and touch screen there.  My intent would be to be able to play our music library or stream Pandora or something through the radio.  It appears that the input to the chassis for the turntable is a simple RCA type jack, implying that it accept a simple analog signal?  If so, I'm thinking I can build this out with no permanent modifications to either the chassis nor the cabinet.  Thoughts? 

Thanks!

--Dave

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
New member, with a new radio - 42-1011 - by dgoerlich - 07-09-2017, 01:46 PM