Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 71B Code 125 with Shadow Meter Info

Mine is marked "71B" and "Code 125". This is the one with individual tube shields and has the tube complement consistent with the 71 series. In 1933 they did make them with the shadow meter, and used the same escutcheon as the 91B.

I believe most of the 71 series was without the shadow meter, and I believe certain models had the same chassis but with the large single tube shield as seen on the 70 series before it.

Like I said, there are older posts out there referencing this model and a dial cord chart for the 71 (maybe it was only the B series that used string, but I don't know). Over the years, wherever the pictures were hosted turned into 404s.

I have confirmed that even though mine used an electrical tape and fuel hose based friction drive, the pulleys are present for a cord, but I'm not sure how it goes together. The main dial has a large pulley similar to newer dial radios. The tuning knob drives a shaft with a pulley, and there is a double pulley / idler below that. I suppose I could come up with something that will work, but I would like to see the original Philco design.

I imagine if there were later Philcos that used dial cords with the same style dials, it was probably similar, so if someone could point me to a mid-1930s Cathedral model that uses cords that would be great. (Pictures would be great.)

As for pictures, I'll post when I have a chance to take them, but I know someone on this forum knows what I'm talking about, but the 71B with shadow meter is a rare beast, so most people will think of the version that comes up most when you Google it.

So, in summary, the tube layout does match the 71 series, but this chassis has a shadow meter and individual tube shields (with the bases welded to the chassis) and is probably the latest version of the 71B made. Hopefully someone here has seen one recently enough to remember the details.

Sure, anyone can find a 70 with SN below B22000 but I found a 71B with a shadow meter!

Regards,

Dan

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 71B Code 125 with Shadow Meter Info - by ntsc525 - 07-17-2017, 12:12 AM