Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-620 'Big Bullet' cabinet refinishing

I just got back from a long weekend away, and while I was gone I saw a Philco 'big bullet' radio on display- but not for sale.  I've always considered these radios to be an iconic design- one of the best designs of the 30's, but have never owned one.  The day after I got home, I was browsing things for sale locally and found this.  It's a model 38-620:

It's unfortunately missing the surround that goes around the dial as well as the glass.  

But otherwise is complete and the cabinet is not missing any veneer.  The grill cloth is in good condition.  Even the chassis is complete, original and fairly clean, though things are so close together underneath it kind of scares me!  After I removed the chassis I found the tube diagram and model label underneath, loose in the cabinet.

Since I had a great experience doing my 38-8 console's cabinet and learnt a few things along the way, I figured I would do the same here and post some updates as I work on it so others can see the progress.

It appears that originally the base, and portion underneath the arch on the left side were almost the same shade of brown as the rest of the cabinet.  I am debating whether I want to go slightly darker to give it some contrast... or stick with something more authentic...

Messages In This Thread
Philco 38-620 'Big Bullet' cabinet refinishing - by adamrobertg - 08-15-2017, 01:13 PM