Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My first ever Antique Radio purchase - a PHILCO!!

I think it appropriate to post my story here, as I did on a Facebook group today about my first ever purchase of a vintage radio - because it was a Philco! Here goes.......

"Who remembers their first vintage radio purchase and the story behind it? Here’s mine, just because. So it’s 1965. I’m 13 years old and have been already soldering for at least 5 years. My mom loves ‘antiquing’ and knows I like antiques too, especially if it has to do with radios or phonographs. So we drive to one of her favourite antique store areas of the time, in Buttonville, Ontario Canada. I’m looking around and I spot something interesting hidden in a corner almost completely covered with all kinds of stuff. I go for a closer look. Yes, It’s an antique radio!! Rapture! I sheepishly ask my mom to find out how much they want for it. The owner says, “ahhh, you can have it for $3.” OMG!! $3? even in 1965? Before you could say ‘wow’, it was already hanging out of the trunk of my mom’s ’64 Ford Meteor and on it’s way home. It’s not a rare model, but sentimental, and my kids will have to decide if they want to sell it once I’m gone. I certainly won’t sell it. BTW it’s a model 82, which is the Canadian version of the 86 (worked on 25 cycles). And it worked right away despite missing one of the two 71A P-P output tubes."

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread