Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Turntable project

I've been trying to find a decent portable record player for my girlfriend as a Christmas gift. She lives in a small studio apartment and doesn't have a lot of space for hi-fi equipment, so I was researching the suitcase style all-in-one units you can find online (Crosley, Ion, CMC, etc.) I'm finding a lot of people online commenting that these are basically all cheapo junk that will damage your records over time due to lack of tone arm counterweight, etc. So, I decided against buying her one of those. We (especially I) often buy pricier, rarer records, and I wouldn't want them ruined.

It made me wonder why someone hasn't made a decent quality portable record player with adjustable counterweight, quality magnetic stylus (standard or P-mount). I thought that maybe I could buy a reasonably ok turntable, add a phono preamp to it and build a small case to hold it which would allow her to store it away when not in use. I actually have the phono preamp already, purchased many years ago for an old LP to digital file conversion project.

What do you guys think of this? What would be a decently-priced, not extremely heavy turntable with a tone-arm lock that I could pick up to modify into a standalone with preamp and bluetooth? I should add that we both love music, but we're not highly-selective audiophiles, so I'm not in the market for something like a Thorens TD-160. On the other hand, I'd like it to be shorter overall than the Garrard 42M I use at home.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Greg

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."

Messages In This Thread
Turntable project - by WallaceRoger - 09-27-2017, 05:24 PM
RE: Turntable project - by Ron Ramirez - 09-28-2017, 05:09 AM
RE: Turntable project - by WallaceRoger - 09-28-2017, 11:33 AM
RE: Turntable project - by Ron Ramirez - 09-28-2017, 02:12 PM
RE: Turntable project - by WallaceRoger - 09-28-2017, 09:30 PM
RE: Turntable project - by WallaceRoger - 12-06-2017, 04:25 PM