Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newbe Need Information regarding restoring a Philco Model 51

I need a little advice. I have come into possession of a Philco Model 51 Tombstone table model radio. I was told that it worked "the last time it was used,,,they failed to say when that was,,ha) I am interested in restoring it (it works not at all now, the dial light lights up but no tube illumination). I built a "dim-bulb tester" and it indicates that the transformer is shorted. I had planned on reading up and trying the restore myself ( Im no expert but I am a handyman type). However, after reading some of the posts and articles on the net regarding restoring these old radios, it seems as though there might be a "little" danger involved in the line of zapping urself silly! Therefore, would you recommend having someone else do the restore or studying and trying it myself. I know that this is a unanswerable question but I am looking for some knowlegable hints!! Is something like this simply too much for a newbe to try? If so, does anyone know of anyone in the Dallas/Ft Worth area to go to for help and/or restoration. Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Newbe Need Information regarding restoring a Philco Model 51 - by Guest - 03-01-2009, 10:44 PM