Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 118x floor model restoration

Hi everyone!

i recently acquired a 118x floor model...doesnt work, speaker needs re-coned, but all in all i think its in pretty decent shape. 
i might as well be up front with the facts: i have no idea how radios actually work, and my understanding of electronics is cursory at best. 
that said, i have successfully restored a 1947 seeburg 147 jukebox, several tube amplifiers for guitar and bass, and a hammond organ, along with countless pinball machines and arcade games, so i figure this cant be all that different from anything else ive tackled before.

heres my plan so far: replace the big electrolytic caps, and the paper tubular caps, ive read the bakelite block caps are pretty much good to go so im not going to mess with them unless i need to, and then re-cone the speaker. the tubes all look like the previous owner bought them brand new, so im not too concerned with them at the moment. 

my question right now is about the paper tubular caps....these arent electrolytic, right? the parts list does not specify that they are, but then im looking at that black band around the one end of the cap that seems to always be connected to ground, so im not too sure. im also not seeing voltages marked for these caps, i was wondering if theres something im missing on the markings on the caps, or maybe i need to understand the schematic a little more in order to deduce the voltage ratings? 

theres also a mystery cap on my chassis, connected down by the 8-10 MFD and 8 MFD can caps (part 73 and 74 on my schematic) the mystery cap is a 20MFD 450v electrolytic, the positive terminal going to the first lug on that 3 lug bakelite block down there...the schematic says its a .25 MFD condenser. im thinking this was added at some point to clear up some humming as the other caps failed, but its a shot in the dark right now; i simply havent studied the schematic well enough yet.

any help you guys can give an absolute novice are greatly appreciated. ive been reading this forum for the last several days, taking in all the knowledge i can soak up, and im not too proud to admit im in way over my head. but i do love a challenge, and im a quick study, for a young buck.

thanks again,
Brian

Messages In This Thread
Philco 118x floor model restoration - by Foose - 11-05-2017, 03:02 PM