Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help on A Sparton 813

Well, it looked pretty good on E-Pay, and arrived as a "Kit" with the cabinet in 4 pieces. A barn special at best. Again, split veneer on part of the top, but at least the buttons are still good. This one has mechanical tuners for the pushbuttons where you tune a station, lock the button by squeesing it shut, and it "remembers" Cool.

Also, this set uses two 1A5 pentodes in parallel for the output. I've never seen this arrangement before in a radio, but with a little digging, I see that there were also Philco's that used a similar arrangement. Why. I'll never know, since each pentode would give .1 watt on it's own. And, remember this is a battery set, wasn't there a better way to do it?

Anyway, one of the 1A5's is missing from the set, and I am wondering if I can get by with just one. I know the volume would be diminished somewhat. I was also thinking about making a socket adapter to run a 3V4 to do the job of both tubes, which would be 100% reversable.

Building a little A-B power supply should be trivial.

I am wondering if anyone out there has tackled one of these before.

Box number 2 of the same auction has not been opened yet. Equally bizarre , I hope. Stay tuned.

Messages In This Thread
Help on A Sparton 813 - by codefox1 - 04-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Re: Help on A Sparton 813 - by Texasrocker - 04-10-2009, 02:23 AM
Re: Help on A Sparton 813 - by codefox1 - 04-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Re: Help on A Sparton 813 - by Texasrocker - 04-12-2009, 12:14 AM