Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

restoring 1934 mod 663 Weston volt-ohmmeter

Thanks Jim & Aaron! You bet, this old vintage Weston VOM test item is now working great +/- 5% accuracy as compared to my Simpson 260. As Aaron suggested, it would have been better to use metal-film type resistors from the get-go, in the restoration. I didnt have a good selection of the metal-film types here at the time, but plenty-o-new carbon types here in the workshop. Since the old weston meter was "questionable at best",.. for full restoration , I just started "hand-matching" my carbon-comp type 1/2 watters to see if it would work again, and be fairly accurate overall after resto. To my surprise, it bounced back to new life again, and is more accurate than I would have ever suspected! Definately close enough for vintage-radio-restoration work indeed, just as originally designed! Looks cool too boot!
I just wanted to save it, as it is a really neat vintage test item, and it WORKS too!!... with updated easy to find batteries.
It will go in my collection of vintage test gear, & some young whipper-snapper can swap-out all my carbon resistors someday in the future if need be to keep it working. When I saw this old neglected step-child pc of vintage test gear, I had to try restoring it!! If nothing else, a nice break from the usual restoration of vintage tube radios chassis ! Icon_wink

Messages In This Thread
Re: restoring 1934 mod 663 Weston volt-ohmmeter - by Texasrocker - 05-04-2009, 11:32 PM