Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 118X Speaker Board

Hi,

Hello Ron, I did what I should have done in the first place and that was to have not pestered others with something I could have found my own answer to within a few minutes - that was to remove the screen from the back of another set and take a look there! However, I'll gladly share what I found.

One other set I checked (a 14MX) has the loudspeaker supported by a cross member (which the 118X does not have). Its speaker doesn't fit flush against the baffle and a felt gasket fills the slight gap. Coming to think of it, I've seen these bushy felt rings many times in the past without thinking too much about them. I presume the 118X was similar, though the felt from mine has long gone - I'll just trim some thick cardboard and use that. I guess I was expecting a tight fit on the speakers with these old sets, much like the modern units, but of course that's not how they were designed.

Also, other sets I checked all mount the grille cloth directly to the wood, so that's what I'll do with the 118X. When I got the set the cloth had been mounted to a sheet of card placed in front of the baffle, which is what had made me wonder in the first place. It has to be redone, as the cloth was was badly mis-shapen from being stretched over the front of the loudspeaker.

Not sure why the loudspeaker was mounted from the front when I got my unit, as everything looks to go back the correct way without any issues. It'll remain a mystery..

Hope you're doing well, Ron.

Best Regards,
Paul

Messages In This Thread
Philco 118X Speaker Board - by PTurney - 05-15-2009, 08:51 AM
Re: Philco 118X Speaker Board - by PTurney - 05-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Re: Philco 118X Speaker Board - by Ron Ramirez - 05-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Re: Philco 118X Speaker Board - by PTurney - 05-18-2009, 07:13 PM