Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cathedral Top Repair - Advice Needed

Hello,

I'll apologize in advance for no pics to accompany this plea...

I have a cathedral that's, yet another, shipping casualty. The shipper didn't pack well and sent with the speaker in position. The grille was broken into a couple dozen pieces and a bulge in the very peak/curve of the top created where the speaker evidently came loose and impacted the inside of the top. I've rebuilt the grille, but the impact of the speaker to the top was enough to cause a 3" diameter bulge outward of the cabinet top & veneer with a line of splintering across the mid-section of the bulge. The impact didn't break all the way through or cause any pieces to break loose. The damaged spot is in the middle on the very top exterior, so the most curved portion of the top.

Any experts run into this and have suggestions on how to best repair? It appears the bulge could be clamped tightly and forced back into perfect position, but am positive it wouldn't stay flush without extra intervention. The finish on the cabinet is toast, so no worries about hurting the finish. So, have considered heating it with an iron, glueing the fracture and clamping really tight for a few days?? Any other suggestions?

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."

Messages In This Thread
Cathedral Top Repair - Advice Needed - by jayoungs - 05-26-2009, 04:47 PM