Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Sylvania Speakers: One tests roughly 8 ohms, the other 23?

I picked up a pair of 70's Sylvania speakers today for $20 at the local flea market. Although they aren't in prefect condition, the will still pair well with my dumpster find Realistic. Both speakers are supposed to be 8 ohms, which is perfect for about any 70s or even 60's stereo. They also have two ways to hook up, either RCA connector or two screw terminals on a removable panel on the back. I ohm checked both speakers on the terminals first and one came to 8.1 and the other 7.8/7.9, close enough! I did the same on the RCA connectors and this is where it got funky. The speaker that rated 7.8/7.9 stayed the same, while the other came up at 22-23 ohms each time I checked. Took some fine grained sand paper and cleaned the connectors,  but still get the same. I pulled the little cover and can see two Mallory capacitors, a resistor, and a choke all connected right to the connectors and cover. Everything runs through the same components, so what gives? Icon_crazy Note: The issue only happens through the RCA connector.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Messages In This Thread
Sylvania Speakers: One tests roughly 8 ohms, the other 23? - by Jayce - 06-30-2018, 03:18 PM