Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tuner not working on 46-420 code 121

Hello –

I just joined the Phorum and I wanted to see if I could get some suggestions for the issue I’m having after recapping a Philco 46-420 “Hippo” Code 121 radio.
When I got it off ebay I checked the power cord and looked under the chassis to see if looked safe to plug it in and power it up.

I powered it up and noticed that it sounded very good but somewhat weak in the volume department.
It only picked up WLW (AM 700) in Cincinnati and faintly something at the high end. I wasn’t concerned about that; my apartment is way over shielded.
King Tut gets better reception.

I knew based on everyone’s insistence that I needed to get the wax and electrolytic replaced. Did so and replaced a 7C6 tube that I had a spare of.
When I was done with the recapping and the polarized AC cord installation I was getting great volume and still clear tone sound.

Now comes the snag.  I can only hear WLW all across the tuner. At 550 to 1600 the station won’t let go. It’s as though the variable cap isn’t even in the circuit anymore.
I checked all my solder points and they look good. No wires seemed crossed either.

Another point (and maybe this is more common to you then newbie me) I can touch almost any metal part of the chassis and the volume gets way loud.

Do you have any ideas about the tuner not doing its job anymore?

I appreciate your feedback – this Hippo and I could have a lasting relationship if I can just get it right.

Thanks.

Terry Lett

Messages In This Thread
Tuner not working on 46-420 code 121 - by terrylett - 08-03-2018, 04:10 PM