Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to Forum- 47-1230 is my 1st Restoration

Hello everyone, I'm new to your forum, but not forums in general. I've been in heavy equipment service all of my 41 years of working career, as a technician, manager, etc. and recently retired. My career touched most everything from mechanicals & hydraulics to electronics.
I've always been a hands on self taught kind of guy and most of my hobbies were restoring older automobiles every aspect from wiring to paint, body, engine building and interior. I've always loved antiques and my retirement home the wife and I recently purchased was built in 1907. We have furnished it about 90% using antique furniture and such. I recently came across a beautiful Philco radio/phonograph, non functional due to a totally rotten cord. The cabinet is in such nice shape after I cleaned it up that I decided I want to restore the unit to functioning condition.
I found this forum and read most of the restoration threads, and also found a gentleman in Utah named Michael who has a 14 part restoration video complete on U-Tube, and I've watched up through part 8 so far. The videos are awesome, since it is my exact model unit and I have been following along with the disassembly and cleaning of everything. I contacted The Philco Repair Bench for schematics yesterday to place my order and am awaiting them to send me a Paypal request so I can pay for them and get them coming. I would like to get all of the caps and resistors coming as well, because that is currently where I am in the restoration. I'm wondering if anyone who has restored their 47-1230 has a list of the caps and resistors needed that I could have to get those items on order? Any and all suggestions or comments are welcome and encouraged, since this is my first radio restoration. I have a lot to learn, so please be patient with me.
I have taken a ton of photos for reference and saved all of Michael's videos for reference as well. If there is a preferred source for purchase on the components where I can get quality at affordable prices that would be great to know as well. The good news is that when I hooked up a new power cord temporarily to bench test the system on my work bench, there were no dead shorts and I could even get a few pops out of the speaker. I think I have a unit that will be usable with a good electronics restoration. I'll post some pictures once I get them out of my phone and into my computer.

1929 Victor R-32, 1933 60L, Phil 40-158, Phil 42-400X, Phil 47-1230 Radio/Phono,, 1950 Phil TV t-1104, Air King 4000, Philco 41-105, Philco 37-675, RCA Victor 9K2, PT-50, Phil 54C, PT-44 Cabinet, Phil 118X Cabinet

Gregg Icon_thumbup

Messages In This Thread
New to Forum- 47-1230 is my 1st Restoration - by Greggshere - 08-06-2018, 12:17 AM