Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Signal generator trouble

Today I dug into the Heathkit. I replaced the 20 + 20 uf electrolytic with two new caps. I might restuff the old one so kept it. A quick check through other parts suggested nothing in immediate need of attention, so power was applied.

Odd sizzling sounds! Power smartly removed!

Another quick chancer - I was being treated to a superb light show from inside the variable capacitor.

I had noticed a bit of dust inside the cabinet, and sure enough, there was all sorts of grime between the plates visible on closer inspection. I set my sights on a good clean. To get this thing out was a pain - had to loosen off all the front controls to get enough movement of the chassis from the front panel. Anyway, out it came for a bath in dish detergent and gentle scrubbing with an old toothbrush. After that, a thorough drying with the hot air gun, followed by a clean and regrease of the bearings. More fettling to get it back into the chassis.

Fortunately, this did the trick, and the instrument is working nicely again, with no more fireworks. Should be a handy bit of kit.

Cheers

Ed

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Messages In This Thread
Signal generator trouble - by EdHolland - 09-04-2018, 03:18 PM
RE: Signal generator trouble - by Eliot Ness - 09-05-2018, 07:42 AM
RE: Signal generator trouble - by morzh - 09-05-2018, 08:27 AM
RE: Signal generator trouble - by EdHolland - 09-05-2018, 12:54 PM
RE: Signal generator trouble - by EdHolland - 09-06-2018, 11:29 PM
RE: Signal generator trouble - by EdHolland - 09-16-2018, 08:28 PM