Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Canadian Philco Model 706A (46-1201, 47-1201, 48-1201)

I have an update, when I had a few moments the other day I removed the Masonite cover from the bottom of the phonograph and had a look at the motor. The first thing that I spotted was a pair of bright blue crimp connectors in series with the motor power leads, so the first though was that someone had been in there before. So I thought that I would shine a light in there to see if the colour of the wires matched on either side of the connectors, they did not, at the same time I spotted some writing on the motor, it read 120 Volts, 60 Yccles, they misspelled cycles. When it was replaced I can't say for certain, but it looks period, with cloth wires, and it may even been from the same supplier as the original. The Ontario had an appliance rebuilding program in the late 1950s to accept the power frequency change from 25 to 60 cycle, which is where this beast came from, especially for appliances with motors. This situation was a good example of why it is worth keeping at least a few old phonograph and clock radio motors around, you never know when you might run across a burned out unit or a 25 cycle one.
Best Regards
Arran