Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Canadian Philco Model 706A (46-1201, 47-1201, 48-1201)

Here's the latest update, I've managed to work on the set for a few nights this week for an hour or so at a time, and the chassis is about 2/3 finished. Out of the paper condensers I've replaced 7 out of the 9 and I am halfway through replacing the bypass one with the RF choke, if that's what it's for?. Strange how Philco constructed these RF chokes, in this case they used a proper cardboard form with the condenser inserted inside the form, and the whole assembly covered with a waxed cardboard sleeve. In others they simply wound the coil with 20-22 gauge rubber covered wire around the outside of a .22 MF, 600 Volt condenser.
Anyhow after this I will be onto replacing the filter condensers, strange enough I managed to reform them while powering up the set on the variac which is surprising since they are the waxed cardboard tube types. Needless to say I don't trust them, I'm not fixing this set twice in one month, so they are still coming out to be replaced with some nice aluminum cased Rubicons. I will let you know how the set works when it's finished, I still need to clean up and repair the speaker.
Best Regards
Arran