Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Radio antenna selector switch mystery signal boost

i have been playing around with the antenna off and on lately.

I brought all my radios to a six position rotary switch to simplify which radio is using my single long wire antenna.

prior to this mod, i had a single 120v relay on each radio that when powered up , the dry contacts of the radio would "connect itself" to the long wire antenna.
I am trying something new so the relays are not in the game right now.

I am not having a problem, i am just posting to say that something odd is happening SPECIFICALLY with the GE Clock radio model 513F.

This set has an internal loop antenna and i tried like heck to integrate it to the long wire for better reception.
I can not in any way integrate the long wire to this GE set from what i have tested.

I did over double the reception of the GE set by simply bonding a short 3' long wire off one side of the loop antenna letting it dangle in free air.

all my radios sit on a common shelf in the garage.  The philco lives in the house.

to my mystery issue .............

My GE sits on the shelf with its buddies...  i noticed something odd though, 
The GE ******ONLY EXPERIENCES A HUGE SIGNAL BOOST*** when the rotary switch is on position 2!!

help me understand whats going on???????

if you all like i can do a short video demonstration.

i drew up a diagram below to show you the one line of how the sets are tied to the outside long wire.
notice the GE is not connected to the long wire.

My only assumption on the source of the signal boost the GE set gets is that the #2 radio made in 1992 might be allowing antenna coupling of some sorts.  Again, the ge radio only gets a boost in signal if i have this small 3' long wire hanin' off the back **and** the rotary switch is on position 2.  The 1992 magnavox set is powered off as well as all the other sets.  

thoughts?

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread
Radio antenna selector switch mystery signal boost - by jcassity - 09-23-2018, 11:24 AM