Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Big-Dirty 47-1230 Electronics Restoration

Hello all,

I finally got around to working on my 47-1230 and I think its safe to say that I may have bitten off  more than I can chew.

First off, I have recapped the chassis and checked the connections to the best of my knowledge. Everything went well on the recap process but man is it a painstakingly slow process  Icon_thumbdown  

After the recap and a little cleanup I decided to try and plug it in to see if it works at all.
I plugged in the speaker because I read it will damage the chassis if it is turned on without the speaker plugged in.
I turned it on and the two front lights came on and the tubes started slowly glowing, then the speaker started to hum.

With that being said, no sound except a hum was heard on any of the AM, FM, etc....  Actually FM is almost silent.
I really need help on where to start with the troubleshooting process. I have started with the "Section 1 - Troubleshooting" section of the philco papers that I have. But where from here??  
These are the values I got with an input voltage of 122Vac
 EtoC : 217 VDC
 DtoC : 162 VDC
 BtoC : -12.16 VDC
 Resistor 100 I have 20 Kohms
 Resistor 101 I have 138 Ohms

I know these values are a little off and one of my questions is how do I test the 5Y3GT tube?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2pn126nyoqdp1l....png?raw=1

Messages In This Thread
Big-Dirty 47-1230 Electronics Restoration - by MRohrb - 10-04-2018, 03:46 PM