Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 89 (123) (Update-Coil rewind)

Hi everyone,

I have started to work on a Philco model 89 code 123 with the SW band.
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013877.pdf
Having a little trouble with one section as far as verifying the wiring. It has not been worked on before, except to install one filter.
Anyhow, the diagram shows it using a #77 tube for the detector/osc. The set has a #36 tube installed. The #36 was used on a regular model 89 I see.

I thought that someone my have installed the earlier tube in the set, but that would be impossible as they are two different bases. The socket are stock and have never been changed.

The question is, could this have been an earlier run of the 89 code 123 but still used a # 36 tube?

There is also a bakelite block that doesn't seem to connect where it should, perhaps because of the older tube?
Diagram calls for a 3515-G block, (part 9) and the one installed is an 8774-B block. (I have the block pages bookmarked)

If it is an "early run", I may have to refer to the regular model 89 in those areas I guess.

BTW, the chassis is metal stamped with X96670, under the chassis is rubber stamped 38-1034

Thanks for any help on this set.
Take care,
Gary.

PS I have heard about the Super 89 mod as a workaround for the original 36 tube, but I think I will pass,. This is a 'customer's set' and I don't want to get into it any more than I have to Icon_smile
I will read up on the mod though.

Messages In This Thread