Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rotary switch wiring questions

Howdy -

I haven't been active in here lately because I'm battling stage 4 oral cancer so my efforts have been diverted to the obvious.

But until they start shoveling dirt over me I have a question about a Crosley 56TX I just got for cheap. I know it ain't a Philco but the question applies to ALL antique radios and the response times on this forum are excellent and the knowledge base is as good as it gets. So many of you should take a bow.

I now know why I got the Crosley for cheap. The seller went into it pretty wildly and his wiring ideas might be from another galaxy.

I took his word that the radio powered up but had no sound as the only issue. Never again will I trust a seller on word alone. I don't think he meant any harm but he got in over his head and the cleanup will be a pain for me especially since I'm not too swift at interpreting schematics, let alone Crosley schematics.

After I plugged the radio into my iso transformer and flipped the power switch on the transformer the dial light came on and the tubes started to glow. He was right about no sound but the first problem was obvious. I went to turn the switch on the radio off but it was already off. He had wired the AC power cord to basically bypass the switch.

I'm confident I can clean up the power cord wiring (especially since I'm going to make it safer) but he had the switch/volume control wiring all over the place. There was no connection to AC and there was a loose wire that I suppose he meant to connect to a pin on the rectifier.

What I'm trying to remember (since I'm going to redo all his switch wiring) is which connections I should make to the rotary volume control. This type of rotary switch is in all kinds of old radios not just Philco and Crosley. It has 3 terminals on the side and 2 on the back. I thought I should connect AC power to terminal 1 and a 20 ohm 10W resistor to terminal 3 with terminal 2 for wiring to capacitors, tube pins or whatever. I guess I need a refresher on those 3 terminals but I also definitely don't remember what should connect to the 2 terminals on the back of the rotary switch.

Hep me hep me I'm losing my mind!

Messages In This Thread
Rotary switch wiring questions - by terrylett - 01-18-2019, 04:36 PM
RE: Rotary switch wiring questions - by terrylett - 01-18-2019, 04:59 PM
RE: Rotary switch wiring questions - by terrylett - 01-18-2019, 06:32 PM
RE: Rotary switch wiring questions - by terrylett - 01-18-2019, 07:39 PM