Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Advice for removing finish on a 37-650

I would advise taking some time to read through some of the refinishing threads to get a feel for what folks do and how they do it.  There are a number of discussions with varying opinions. Good finishes take practice and skill.  In general the finish is accomplished with sanding sealer, grain filler, toning lacquers and clear lacquer.  At times there may be a place for stain but mostly its toning lacquer to provide the colors.  If you have an HVLP spray gun you can mix your own to exactly what you want.  If not you have to rely on spray rattle cans.  Mohawk is a reliable brand.  They have a dye based product (Ultra Classic) and a pigment based product (Tone Finish).  Dye is a more transparent and lets some of the grain show through, pigment can be more opaque (although it all depends on how much you put on...it takes some practice).  After stripping the finish I may sand lightly if needed, being careful not to go through the thin veneer.  Then a couple coats of sanding sealer.  (I use Deft spray products for the clear and sealer that can be found in most hardware stores).  Very Light sanding with 220 or higher grit followed by grain filler if needed.  Walnut veneers have grain that needs filling but some of the other woods used in cabinets may not.  I use Timbermate (walnut) although there are other brands.  Filler on, scrape it off then when dry sand carefully to get the surface smooth.  Grain filling may take several attempts, I have yet to really master it.  Next is spraying on toner to get the colors you want.  The tendency is to spay on too much toner.  Once the colors are as you like then coats of clear gloss lacquer.  I usually do three coats of clear separated by 10 to 15 minutes to let each coat dry, then wait a day and sand lightly and follow with another 3 coasts as before. Depending on how the surface is I may wet sand with 600 grit at this point and then do 3 more clear coats.  If it looks good I'll let it all sit for a couple weeks and then rub out with 4F pumice and then rottenstone.  I'll often then polish with a carnuba wax.  Other folks will have other ways of getting the job done so take your time and decide how you'll approach it.  The good thing about lacquers are that you can easily strip it if you do something that looks bad and start over.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Advice for removing finish on a 37-650 - by klondike98 - 09-23-2020, 12:47 PM