Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Drive belt rides low on pulley

[attachment=18473]
2/10/19
Hey Folks .  I am restoring a Philco 53-1750 Radio/Phonograph with an M-24A record changer.  This is the  3rd one I'm restoring.  On the first two, I replaced the drive belts in the record changer and had no problems.   

On this 3rd one now,  the belt wants to ride low on the pulley and then the bottom edge of the belt contacts the base metal and squeals.  If I gently force the belt up to the middle of the pulley with my finger nail as it's spinning, the squealing stops but then wants to go back low when I let go.  Are these supposed to position themselves on the middle  of the pulley or are they supposed to ride somewhat low?

This particular belt I purchased from thevoiceofmusic.com  on on 5/8/2013 so maybe it's just old rubber now and deteriorated and has stretched out when I started using it?   Maybe I just need a new one?

The original belt which is dried out, does work and rides only slightly below the center of the pulley.
I tried spraying  non squeal spray on the "new"  belt (like you would use for for an alternator belt on a car) and it ruined the belt !  Live and learn !

So what's the issue here, do I just need a new one?  I also tried 2 other spare pulleys from M-24A record changers I bought for spare parts, the same thing -  low riding belt -  occurs just the same with all pulleys.
       Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
Drive belt rides low on pulley - by ODPILOT - 02-10-2019, 03:26 PM
RE: Drive belt rides low on pulley - by Arran - 02-10-2019, 03:55 PM
RE: Drive belt rides low on pulley - by ODPILOT - 02-11-2019, 07:50 AM
RE: Drive belt rides low on pulley - by ODPILOT - 02-11-2019, 08:42 AM
RE: Drive belt rides low on pulley - by ODPILOT - 02-11-2019, 12:37 PM