Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Scott Marine Radio

Bought this from Ron.  Thanks Ron. Studied the parts list and discovered that all the coupling caps are mica and the bypass caps are bathtub type - oil soaked.  Disconnected and checked a couple and they checked fine, same with the mica's.  Decided to power it up slowly, monitoring the B+.  B+ was fine and ripple was very low.  The radio came to life without hum!  Checked all voltages (the Scott manual is very complete) and all are reasonable but some are off a bit.  Some resistors have drifted high, but not too far out of spec.  The biggest problem I have is the brightness of  the pilot lamp. This is an AC-DC set so no PT.  The pilot is in the return line to the negative supply and it appears to be the correct lamp. Without the pilot light, the radio is dead.  I may play with some form of LED to supplement the pilot lamp.  I'll probably re-stuff the electrolytic cans just to be safe and take my chances on the rest, at least until problems develop.  Sensitivity and selectivity (variable) is excellent.  I found a couple of CW transmissions and tested the BFO - it works.  With an external speaker, it really sounds pretty good.  The output is designed to feed multiple speakers (like a 70 volt system) or a low impedance balanced line to drive amplified speakers throughout a ship.  It uses 25L6's for the output.

The construction of this thing is amazing.  No expense was spared.  Every component is identified by number on the chassis for easy service by barely qualified techs in the WWII Navy, and for people like me.  Great quality is as simple as tax money can make it!

I feel much safer using this radio as my enemies won't be able to zero in on my local oscillator transmission when I'm listening to the radio. After all, that's part of the reason this radio was designed.

Thank you Ron. Love it!

Messages In This Thread
Scott Marine Radio - by rfeenstra - 04-01-2019, 10:32 PM
RE: Scott Marine Radio - by rfeenstra - 04-04-2019, 11:19 PM
RE: Scott Marine Radio - by Eliot Ness - 04-05-2019, 07:16 AM
RE: Scott Marine Radio - by Ron Ramirez - 04-05-2019, 07:20 AM
RE: Scott Marine Radio - by rfeenstra - 04-05-2019, 09:54 AM
RE: Scott Marine Radio - by rfeenstra - 04-09-2019, 11:52 PM
RE: Scott Marine Radio - by Phlogiston - 04-10-2019, 12:30 PM
RE: Scott Marine Radio - by rfeenstra - 04-10-2019, 07:54 PM
RE: Scott Marine Radio - by rfeenstra - 04-11-2019, 05:43 PM
RE: Scott Marine Radio - by rfeenstra - 06-20-2019, 01:50 PM