Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 71B 3 position tone control

Update:

I know you were all wondering:

It works! All recapped and aligned according to the Rider book on Philco radios, and the shadow meter that I rewound works! The tone control is a bit heavy handed once you get past the first .015 uF, but I guess if you're fighting static, maybe you have to be heavy handed with the treble cut.

This was a rusted out, heavily bodged radio with a broken tuner, tuned by a roll of electrical tape around the shaft (I asked about restringing the tuner in an earlier thread), but thanks to Play Things Of The Past, I found another 71 tuner with the bracket for the shadow meter, so now it's as good as only slightly aged!

Oh: And I had to rewind the shadow meter with 40 Ga wire using a sewing machine and hot glue to attach the coil form to a bobbin, and carefully running the wire through the thread tensioner on the sewing machine.

My success with that has encouraged me to maybe try to rewire one of my open 1920s speakers if I can remember which one is open!

Thanks everyone for your help with this radio. I've been thinking about fixing it for a few years, and gathering info and parts all that time. (Yes, this is the same radio.)

Dan

"Why, the tubes alone are worth more than that!" (Heard at every swap meet. Gets me every time!)

Philcos: 90, 70, 71B, 610, 37-61 40-81, 46-420 Code 121 to name a few.
Plus enough Zeniths, Atwater Kents and others to trip over!

Messages In This Thread
Philco 71B 3 position tone control - by ntsc525 - 04-18-2019, 09:39 PM
RE: Philco 71B 3 position tone control - by ntsc525 - 04-23-2019, 08:56 PM