Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-482 Performance Second Opinion

Made it better
While mucking around one last time before mounting it back in the cabinet I noticed the reception got better if I touched the mica cap lead between the ant coil and the converter tube with a small screw driver so I replaced it. Wow is this front end HOT. Even SW got a shot in the arm. I'm DXing the eastern US and don't know what else (at night of course) with the 3 turn loop ant it brung to this dance. Even though the RF peaked as I adjusted the ant trimmer; still, it got better if I touched the 22pf's lead. I figure it should get worse if I touched it by throwing it out of tune.
I mis-read the schematic and replaced a 22pf with a 220pf cap. The Ant Trimmer range on BC and SW is the same as with the old 22 pf mica cap
A 27pf cap took me back to the old disapointment. The 220pf is back in service!

Now here's the question.
Did I discover a new mod?
Is there a replacement of a slowly failing ant coil in my future? This coil ohm'd out OK and looks very good. As much as I want the radio to be original I also realize that success is measured by results.

Thoughts?

Dave Casazza
Keep em glowin and goin...

Messages In This Thread
48-482 Performance Second Opinion - by DCASAZZA - 11-02-2009, 10:27 AM
Re: 48-482 Performance Second Opinion - by Fred R - 11-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Re: 48-482 Performance Second Opinion UPDATE - by DCASAZZA - 11-08-2009, 08:58 PM