Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-116 c125 autotuner disassembly? stuck "spacer"

I recently got a Philco 38-116 code 125 which has the tuning firmly stuck to the bandswitch, and have never worked on a large Philco.  It takes too much force to try to tune it.  You can change bands - but very stiffly, and the dial moves locked to the bandswitch.  At first I figured everything was just too gummed up with old grease - but now I think the problem is that the "mask" is stuck to the hub.  Using SB273 on this site - I removed the dial (which already had 10% of the markings wiped off, and is cracked - anyone want to part with a good original dial?  I'm just hoping the repro's will look just like the original).  I tried to remove the "spacer - item 13", after finally convincing myself it is indeed a separate piece even on the 1938's, but it is firmly stuck - even after "vibrating" it with a buzzing tool.  

My best guess is that the mask (item 11 - which makes the light beam window for each band) is firmly stuck to the auto-tuning hub (item 7), and apparently is supposed to smoothly rotate separately from the hub, right?  I figure I need to remove the mask and sand its inner diameter so it will rotate smoothly - is that right?  So I want to get that apart without damaging the mask OR exposing it to pen-oil or anything.  The mask already has a crack started - and I presume the mask has shrunken a little, explaining why it is locked to the hub.  (The dial was also shrunk tight around the hub, and finished cracked as I gently removed it.)  What is the best way to get that "spacer" off the hub so I can get to the mask?  Has anyone had this trouble before?  

Thanks guys,
Eddie Z

Messages In This Thread