Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46-200 Restoration -- Mixed Results -- Help Please

I just attempted my first radio restoration -- Philco Transitone 46-200.  Replaced capacitors and resistors.  Aligned by ear...  if that is even a thing.  I don't have a signal generator, etc.

I am pleased to report there was no smoke when I powered it up, and it works.  So that's a plus.  Icon_surprised)

However, I do have a few concerns and questions.  Turning to the experts for help.

1)  Is it normal to have a very low/faint volume (I can hear the station tuned) even when the volume is all the way down?  In other words, it doesn't completely mute.  Not a big deal.  More of a curiosity.

2)  Why would I have a low hum when the volume is all the way down?  The hum is low enough that as the volume is turned up, it "drowns out" the hum.   I would like to eliminate the hum.

3)  Here's the biggest deal...   I have a problem with the tuning capacitor (I think).   It tunes well and picks up stations until I get down to about 650.  Then a scratchiness starts as I continue to turn the tuning knob down to 550.  The scratchiness sounds like something is touching electrically that shouldn't, and it always starts at exactly the same spot on the dial.  And, a very strong local station (560) won't pick up at all...   the tuner is deaf between 550-650, except for the scratchiness while I'm actually turning the knob.  The tuning capacitor looks clean.  I used air and a no-residue electrical cleaner.  

Thank you in advance.

Bob

Messages In This Thread
46-200 Restoration -- Mixed Results -- Help Please - by rps65619 - 12-11-2019, 02:22 PM