Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-3 completely redone no reception

Hi, All - 
I've finished a COMPLETE recap and all new resistors in a 38-3.  The magnetic tuning switch works, and when the dial handle is pressed down to turn the station rotator, the volume drops accordingly.  The only problem is - the volume is nothing but static.  The set volume control will increase or decrease the sound.  All tubes check out fine on a Sencor tester.   Here's the strange thing - it was actually receiving stations before, and worked fine.  This was after my total recap and resistors.  I have it in a rack I built that I can either have it rightside up or upside down (to work on the chassis innards).  Is it possible that when it was moved back to an upside down position something came loose in an IF can?  I have a single longwise antenna connectd to the RED position, the other two positions are jumpered together.   I have gone through it with a fine tooth comb looking for possible shorts and wire touches, see nothing.  It turns on fine, it warms up fine, and all it gives me is static.  I'm going to use my meter to check continuity on the coils later today, but under close physical examination I see nothing wrong there, either.  I'm at my wit's end on this one....

Messages In This Thread
Philco 38-3 completely redone no reception - by DuMont - 04-06-2020, 08:53 AM