Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newbie advice for a 41-603

Hi- I have been enjoying reading the forums and getting excited about starting something I got interested in last year: restomodding a Philco radio/phono I bought on eBay last year.

I bought this with the intention of gutting it, replacing the innards with a mini amp and speakers, an iPod connection and/or an Airport Express to stream music from my laptop.(Like a lot of us, I think I got into this because of an interest in OTR). I had some guilt pangs about gutting it, but it is probably a parts unit anyway- the phono portion is missing, and I am unsure if the radio works anyway. I am trying to evaluate this and figure out how to best go about this. For some reason, I have not been able to find a good, large , clear picture of this radio in original condition. The finish is beyond a simple polish- 0000 steel wool and wax reveal a mottled varnish, but reasonably OK wood.

Based on what I have read here, a Mohawk toner is the way to go. Perfect Brown? I will sand it 'til smooth first, of course, but am unsure of the best finish coat. I have done a fair amount of wood finishing, but mostly homebrew wipeon polys and shellacs. It looks like the ogee portion of the lid is an opaque brown-is this paint or opaque stain? The wood above and below dial indicator has a thin crack-is this best to fill or somehow try to glue and clamp?

The knobs are a mixture of types, and obviously unoriginal. Are these the proper knobs? http://www.antiqueradioknobs.com/images/4142knob.jpg

Obviously, refinishing will trash the label- how are those at tubesandmore.com?

I have been looking at lots of cloth samples online, but have not seen the one on this unit- a fine yellowish mesh with a series of thick(2-3mm) curly off-white "ropes" running horizontally through. Any suggestions?

All help is appreciated- I realize I will probably spend more than if I had found a used unit in good shape. I just figure this is about learning, and with the next one maybe I'll dive in to the electronics...

Messages In This Thread
Newbie advice for a 41-603 - by Guest - 12-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Re: Newbie advice for a 41-603 - by exray - 12-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Re: Newbie advice for a 41-603 - by Guest - 01-10-2010, 02:14 PM