Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1941 GE Model L-640 Help Needed

Hello everyone a couple of years ago someone gave me a 1941 Vintage GE L-640 along with a 1941 Fada 176 for taking a look at a Philco 37-116 for him (which I tried to repair for him but didn't have much luck as it was more complicated than I could handle at the time as I didn't have much experience working on those kinds of radios at the time) and the Fada I was able to get going but the GE L-640 I have yet to attempt to get going because when I looked it up online I noticed that my example was modified and missing parts and I would like to try and see if I could get it going but looking at the schematic it seems that the modifications on mine are pretty extreme and are mostly in the antenna system area and also its missing its back cover which contained the antenna loop for the AM Band which is where one of the modifications was done, they had modified the chassis so that it could use a juryrigged "loop antenna" that was wired to the old loop antenna wire connections on the back of the radio through an adjustable coil and then wired to a small length of wire that they thumb tacked around the perimeter of the rear of the cabinet.

Also the dial string came loose (it didn't break just came loose) and I don't have access to a dial stringing diagram for this radio as the Riders didn't include one in the service manual for this radio.

Also the original speaker and output transformer is missing and I don't know where to get one except from a junker chassis which I haven't been able to find another one of these radios fullly intact on ebay for a decent price in a while especially not one that was being sold as a parts unit.

This radio had an old Utah Speaker in it but no output transformer attached to it or wired into the chassis anywhere they had the speaker wired directly to the output tube from the way it looked (at least that's what I could see anyways from underneath the chassis).

The cabinet is still in decent shape yet and the speaker grille cloth had beed "replaced" by someone in its past (the original grille cloth was still intact and in good shape yet just a little dirty under the "replacement" grille cloth which I'm going to see if I can clean it up and make it look like new again).

Also from what I could see from underneath the chassis, besides the antenna modifications the chassis looks largerly untouched underneath, with all original components intact yet, except for a modern power cord that was wired into the radio.

Any help and information would be appreciated, including parts if anyone has any available for this particular model.

Thanks,

Levi

Messages In This Thread
1941 GE Model L-640 Help Needed - by captainclock1988 - 06-18-2020, 02:23 PM
RE: 1941 GE Model L-640 Help Needed - by RodB - 06-19-2020, 08:29 AM
RE: 1941 GE Model L-640 Help Needed - by RodB - 06-19-2020, 06:15 PM
RE: 1941 GE Model L-640 Help Needed - by RodB - 06-20-2020, 04:02 PM