Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My upcoming fall / winter project

Hello friends, attached are some photos of the radio I have. It used to work decently. Several years back, it started to have a problem. They only way I can explain it is like a "an electrical storm" in the power tube. I of course have not plugged it in since and my uncle, (87 GE for 40 years) gave me a replacement checked power tube and checked all the other tubes. Between the two uncles, I have come to learn the following: The capacitors dry out and lose function. He cautioned me they have positive and negative poles so replacement must be mindful of that. Not sure why but he said "only use resin core solder when you rewire it" but he did. 

That is all I have to work from. I have decent mechanical skills, I was a professional mechanic. But my expertise is really in medical imaging, analog and digital systems. 

What I think I need to have a shot at success? 

photo of radio with the resistors circled to be replaced, source and part numbers. I can provide the stock photos once I have it on my bench
Same for capacitors
Same for the caps? (sorry I don't know what those are just heard they need to go)

Any other tips, watch outs and whatever you do "don'ts". 

My uncle said he was astounded to see the wheel tuning cord and system working perfectly with the original cord. Since I like the short wave and that requires tuning if you members think that has to go while it's apart I'll need to know that too.  So begins the Odyssey, I was told it's best to keep it all in one thread so this is it!

I look forward to all your replies and thank you so much in advance. Here's my radio:

Messages In This Thread
My upcoming fall / winter project - by escapefromny - 08-18-2020, 05:46 PM
RE: My upcoming fall / winter project - by David - 08-18-2020, 06:26 PM
RE: My upcoming fall / winter project - by David - 08-18-2020, 06:31 PM
RE: My upcoming fall / winter project - by morzh - 08-19-2020, 07:35 AM
RE: My upcoming fall / winter project - by RodB - 08-19-2020, 08:36 AM
RE: My upcoming fall / winter project - by pokey - 08-19-2020, 09:17 AM