Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Leslie 125

Hey all, my first project after a seemingly endless season of mowing. It's a Leslie 125 amp. Pretty simple. Ebay find. I ordered a can cap for the sake of simplicity (I thought) from AES, described for this amp. I am actually trying to build something for an electronic drum set and bass guitar, thought this might be ideal with the hefty 6L6GC outputs. So, I got a few free hours last night and did the recap. I slowly powered things up and it sounded ok, not HiFi, but its for a musical instrument. Originally from a Leslie speaker. I was satisfied and powered up direct to get a feel for it. Well, I heard a bunch of cracking and buzzing (I thought) from the power transformer. I thought I would take things apart and verify before scrapping the project. After stripping the covers off the transformer, I powered back up and found the noises coming from the new can cap! I was THRILLED! It WASNT the PT! So I put things back together and stuck the old cap back in and it sounded fine. Must be a defective can. So Im trying to exchange. The voltage shoots up to ver 500 before it drops back to around 425, so this 475v cap may not be up to the task. Even though the description says its for a Leslie. 

When I got this amp, I was shocked by the small size of the output transformer, looks like about a 15w tranny. I thought I would see a larger trans. I dont think this will have the power to drive a 15" sub like I want. I haven't tried it tho. Looks like the power trans is pretty heavy, B+ seems adequate, so I'm considering switching to a larger "orphaned" transformer. Any thoughts on all this?

Here's a few pics of the project at hand:

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

Messages In This Thread
Leslie 125 - by TV MAN - 10-26-2020, 02:30 PM
RE: Leslie 125 - by rfeenstra - 10-26-2020, 03:06 PM
RE: Leslie 125 - by TV MAN - 10-27-2020, 11:08 AM
RE: Leslie 125 - by rfeenstra - 10-27-2020, 04:37 PM
RE: Leslie 125 - by TV MAN - 12-03-2020, 09:55 PM