Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

48-1262 capacitors and restoration

Hi Friends.  I have just started with a Philco 48-1262 and was hoping I could get a few tips as to what to do first.  From what I have seen and read, I know that I am going to have to replace all the capacitors and possibly the resistors.  There may be other components as well.  I powered my old radio up and found that some of the tubes did light up, but not all of them.  So, I unplugged it and looked inside.  Particularly, there is a capacitor (30-4518) that was burned and open.  However, I'm sure that is not the only problem.  Does anyone have a "shopping list" for the 48-1262 that I could use for everything that would be best replaced?

I also found that the bulb for the radio backlight is not working.  It looks like a simple night-light bulb, but I haven't tried one it it yet.  I have read that getting the record player going is not a viable option because the needle cartridge is obsolete.  However, I gutted the platform on mine and put a Kenwood turntable I bought in the mid 80s on it and now have it functioning and ready to put back in the cabinet.  

I'm going to see if I can get all the electronic components working and then I will work on the cabinet itself.  It has some spots where the veneer has peeled off, but hopefully, I can find something to replace it with.  

If anyone would like to "point me" in a good direction to start, I am all ears.

Thanks.

Messages In This Thread
48-1262 capacitors and restoration - by Curious_Mike - 11-21-2020, 09:00 AM