Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-280 some parts don't jive w/ schematic, picture included

Hi all, been plugging away with the restoration on my great grandmothers radio. Guess I got lucky becasue my rubber coated wires are in fine shape although the colors don't seem to match what the schematic indicates. While I wait for the final installment of more parts and a mail order schematic from Chuck I would like to post a further question. I'm working from a schematic I downloaded, it's not the Rider version but a better quality clearer reproduction using DjView document viewer. Apparently it's a scan of a four page Philco Radio Service Bulletin No. 352. My limited knowledge of reading schematics is probably what is getting me to ask these questions. Consult the picture if that makes it any clearer.

1. Parts list only has a single 0.003 1000v condenser but I have two. Schematic indicates a single condenser, part no. 49 as a 0.003 1000v condenser as part of the (bass) tone control circuit. In my radio there is an additional 0.005 1000V linking the bass and volume pots. Unless, I hear otherwise I plan on just swapping this out and assuming it's serving a purpose.

2.Schematic shows part no. 6 as .05 200V condenser in the lower right hand corner of the chassis to ground. In my radio, there are actually two of these to ground in this corner.

3. Schematic shows part no. 65 as condenser 0.01 - 0.01 mfd, can I assume these are located inside the black plastic block that the power cord connects to? I unscrewed is block and looked behing it but it appears to be solid, nothing to see, so so I've put it back. Should I leave this alone?

[Image: http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m140/...2_1062.jpg]

Thanks for you helping me along. I'm, actually pretty close to powering her up for othe first time. Wish I had a variac.