Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cracked veneer, any easy fix?

I am not an expert woodworker either, but I have had some luck by hydrating the cabinet, as in put in a closed plastic bag with some water in the bottom for a day or two. I generally strip the whole cabinet first if it' really bad. Then, gently guide the split veneer back in place with a slightly diluted elmer's glue, and hold everything in place with some masking tape.

Ironing out separating veneer with steam to re-attach to the base wood with animal glue is a whole other game. I'm 0 for 3 on this one. Worst thing about this is I no longer have a fireplace to properly incinerate my failures.

After the the thing dries out, very gently remove the masking tape, an delictely sand the affected area. As was suggested, add wood filler as needed. If there is a gash which has turned black, you could try a little peroxide or bleach on a tiny brush to get a neutral color. Again you can touch this up with a little oil based paint. Allow a few days between each "operation" for everything to settle in.

The tinted laquer will cover a multitude of sins. A scratch or two on a very old radio that has been otherwise professionally been restored is not uncommon at all.

Messages In This Thread
Cracked veneer, any easy fix? - by wu8v - 02-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Re: Cracked veneer, any easy fix? - by wu8v - 02-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Re: Cracked veneer, any easy fix? - by wu8v - 02-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Re: Cracked veneer, any easy fix? - by codefox1 - 02-07-2010, 05:10 PM