Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

New to Phorum - picked up Zenith S652 and RCA811K

Hello everyone. I am an "older newbie" to tube radios. Always wanted to get into them, but just got active. I am a complete novice, with no background in electronics whatsoever (and little in carpentry). (I've been in the financial industry my entire life.) I picked up a few console radios in the last 10 days locally (within 50 miles) for what I thought were low prices- a Zenith 6S52 ($50), a RCA 811K  ($50) and a Philco 38-116 ($150). I have been gathering equipment (variac, isolation transformer, multimeters, soldering iron etc) and pouring over the Phorum, AntiqueRadios.com, and the internet (sites like Phil's Old Radios, etc). I have the Nostalgia Air schematics and have also downloaded the appropriate Riders manuals. I intend to join my state's antique radio club, NJARC.

I recognize this will be a looong process before I get to the RCA or even more so, the Philco. I intend to do a few tabletop radios and the little 6 tube Zenith console first. However, tabletop radios seem to be more expensive, even for basket cases, so I'm still looking for some candidates to fix/restore. This brings me to the Zenith: it's missing all four knobs, otherwise seems "complete" except one side of the cabinet has seen better days. Has all tubes and underside of chassis looks completely original. 

Right now I am looking for the appropriate knobs and searching out some veneer. After I decipher the components needed to recap it, I'll order those and really  begin the process- slowly. I will need lots of advice and help along the way I am certain.

Messages In This Thread
New to Phorum - picked up Zenith S652 and RCA811K - by Steve A - 02-16-2021, 11:56 AM