Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Laundry list of problems

Hi!! I'm new and recently brought a philco 46-1209 into the house from the barn. We moved in a couple of weeks ago and I'd been meaning to bring it in, clean it up and see if it still worked.  Anyway I have a list of questions. Some of them are probably going to seem very obvious to those of you with some skill in regard to these things so please bear with me...
First it does power on when plugged in but only 2 tubes light up and get warm they are the 2 side by side 6v6 tubes. There are also 2 missing tubes the 5y3gt and the 7x7.  Can I assume this means all of the rest need replaced? Or do some not light up if there are missing tubes? 
Next the phonograph button sticks a bit and won't always pop back out as the rest do is this just a lubrication issue or could there be another problem?
Also the turntable will start to turn and stutter a bit  then stop and kinda start again. I can hear the motor and the gears are all free and turn as they should so is it the motor just isn't putting out enough juice ? 
In regard to the phonograph there is a wire that goes from the underside of the phonograph to a small box on the lower edge of the cabinet. The wire is severed about 2 inches from where it enters the box. Not sure what it does and therefore what it might be affecting.  There is another thicker white cloth covered wire that comes out of that box and it has a metal connection section about 6 inches out. In case that helps with identifying said part.
There is no sound from the speaker at all. Nothing. The wires from the speaker are all intact. I'm guessing the lack  of sound is most likely because of missing tubes? 
So to summarize the console has power. The Radio display lights and the phonograph tries to turn but there are missing and seemingly defunct tubes which are likely at least partially to blame for the total lack of sound from the speaker.  All knobs and switches move freely except for the previously mentioned phono button that when pushes in does not want to pop out again properly after another button is depressed.  
Any info that might help me resurrect this old beast would be lovely 
Thanks!

Messages In This Thread
Laundry list of problems - by wiccadwitch - 03-09-2021, 04:55 PM
RE: Laundry list of problems - by klondike98 - 03-09-2021, 06:24 PM
RE: Laundry list of problems - by mikethedruid - 03-09-2021, 07:34 PM
RE: Laundry list of problems - by RodB - 03-09-2021, 08:36 PM
RE: Laundry list of problems - by wiccadwitch - 03-11-2021, 10:44 AM