Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

46-350 - High Voltage on 117Z3 Rectifier

Hello,

I'm restoring my first tube radio and am hoping to get some advice. I have a 46-350 which I picked up at a thrift store. I threw it on the variac and I'm seeing very high DC voltage on the cathode of the 117Z3 rectifier. From what I've read on this forum and on the schematic I should be seeing ~90V DC from pin 6 (cathode pin) to B-. When I check the voltage I'm seeing about 163V DC between pin 6 and B-. Also, I noticed I get the same voltage results if I test from the B- terminal or the metal chassis as the ground. From my understanding, the B- should be an isolated ground.

As a test, I disconnected the wire from pin 6 to R100A, just to isolate the circuit. When I do this I'm getting about 70V DC from pin 6 on the 117Z3. If I reconnect the wire the voltage jumps back up to 163V DC. I have two rectifier tubes and I've tried both tubes, they both showed similar results. Just as a side note both tubes tested good on my tube tester. 

The only other change I've made is replacing the filter caps. I did double-check polarity and size/voltage and everything looks good. 

Does anyone have any ideas on why the voltage would be so high at pin 6?

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread