Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Starting a 37-10 project - odd cap question

Greetings all!

I have recently inherited an unfairly treated 37-10 that I would like to get started with the usual safety checks and parts replacement. This radio has been in the family continuously since my great-grandfather purchased it, and I'd really like to have it put back into working order.

I've pulled the chassis, given it a bit of a dust blow-out, and in preparation for ordering parts, I've also downloaded a mess of documents on it. 

There is a cap in the "power unit" section that I cannot find referenced in the schematics, parts list, or drawings of the chassis. I thought maybe I'd been mistaken on the model information, but the sticker inside the cabinet, along with some quick cross-checking of other pieces/parts show up as being legitimately in the correct place and part numbers, etc, so I'm feeling confident that this is at least probably likely correctly identified. 

I've pulled the cap slightly out of the retaining mount so that I could get a better look at it. 
It's appears to be labeled 40uf/450V. If you can zoom in, you'll see the markings on the right side. I can provide a closer image if that helps. 

There's no part in the part list with that spec.
The drawing of the underside of the chassis just has nothing there.... The other parts in the immediate are I've been able to find and identify. So, it seems I have an extra part?

I'm not quite ready to yank it all the way out to see if there is a part number underneath and I'm just not reading the markings correctly, or follow those wires to see where it's hooked up and maybe back-trace the schematic, but that might be my next step.

I searched the forum, but couldn't find anyone else that seems to have mentioned this. I did, however, find reference to an updated service bulletin "Changes: July 1937"-- and while it mentions this model, it had nothing to do with this capacitor. 

Can anyone shed light on it? I mean, I intend to replace the cap anyway, but if this rings a bell, and might point me toward new and better reference materials, I surely would prefer to avoid any additional surprises as I start fiddling with this thing. Or if it legitimately shouldn't even be there, I'd like instead to put it all back to the way it should be.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Knows enough to be dangerous, occasionally successful, rarely correct.