Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hey yall, I need some help with a Philco Cabinet that my friend just bought

Hi Bojangles,

I, too am Private Message impaired, so thanks for your response in public.

1 or 2 other thoughts that went through my head.

I don't know if the seller was predatory or just actually and honestly believed that this 56 year old unit as worth this much because it survived.

+1 to all comments that these units should go for much cheaper. Maybe if you search the various local Craigslists for all the postings for these or similar units for low prices, free or already at the curb and report this to the seller he may reconsider. Otherwise, if the ad described the unit in working order and it was, in fact, not the case, the platform that the ad was placed may have rules that will either require an exchange / repair / refund or sanction the seller.

I don't share the experts' love for the German sets; most such as my Telefunken Allegra do not have equal amplifiers (one more powerful than the other) and the wiring is just as sloppy as American sets. However, they were all the rage here, possibly because of the many US Servicepersons stationed in Germany in the 50s and 60s bought these at the PX. My idea of fantastic sound was the various Fisher units, either tube or solid state. I got a Fisher 400 and 800c off the street about 25 years ago. In addition, I love the KLH 20 and 24 units

One other possibility is if you are mechanically inclined and your friend was skilled enough to replace the needle, it is not terribly difficult to remove the turntable and send it to you or another mechanically inclined person.

The turntable is removed from the base, not by unscrewing the 2 screws, but reaching from the underside of the base and flipping up the retainer clips at the end of the screws to a vertical position, then lifting out the turntable. It is likely that there are connectors for power and signal, so there should be no need to cut wires. Evaluate the cartridge (use the "Ceramic" or "Aux" input of the amp, it is unlikely that this unit used a magnetic cartridge. (If it did use a magnetic cartridge, it would likely be working)

Hope this helps!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55