Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newbie Wanting to Resurrect Grandma’s Stereo

We rescued my grandmother’s P1714-124 console stereo from my brother-in-law’s basement in Illinois and brought it out here to its new home in Arizona. I cleaned up the cabinet, carefully took some canned air to the electronics, and vacuumed the rest. I figured I would then start doing some research on the resistors/capacitors etc to find out if I should, as a matter of course, replace them/test them after having sat for so long (the best we can figure, it was last played 1973). 
A couple days later I went into the shop to discover my son had plugger it in and I could hear Johnny Mathis singing. Everything was working, no popping or sizzling or electric smells. I encouraged him to shut it down and unplug it which he did…after telling me he verified the radio works as well. 
I went out to mess with it the other day and noticed that the tone arm is now wonky; the “stylus” has become disconnected from the tone arm somehow. 
So…..I suppose my questions are as follows:
Even though I operated for maybe 10 minutes without frying in any way, do I need to do anything?
What is my source for getting replacement parts for this?

Thank you

Messages In This Thread
Newbie Wanting to Resurrect Grandma’s Stereo - by azbob213 - 02-03-2023, 07:20 PM