Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Paint stripper safe for pot metal?

Xylene is the active ingredient of GumOut carb cleaner and is also used in tissue processing for microscopic examination. Use caution as Xylene is a carcinogen and is easily absorbed through the skin and through inhalation.

If it is cheap spray paint, laquer thinner will take it off easily. It is enamel that takes work to strip. About 20 or so years ago, I stripped a 64 Lincoln down to bare metal. Was a LOT of work. I used a gel type stripper. Top coats of paint (bad re-paint job) stripped right off. The original enamel, primer and zinc chromate primer was a lot more work! Unfortunately, there was no way to strip off the bad re-paint job without ruining what was left of the original jo. I put a coat of red primer on the bare metal, but will have to strip that off, as i am not sure that it is appropriate for bare metal. There are more modern paints for cars nowadays and correct metal coat, primer coat, color coat and if used clear coat is important to prevent reactions and short life. In the case of your lamp, a primer appropriate for pot metal and the desired color should do it for you!

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

Messages In This Thread
RE: Paint stripper safe for pot metal? - by Chas - 02-16-2023, 10:13 AM
RE: Paint stripper safe for pot metal? - by Arran - 02-16-2023, 01:16 PM
RE: Paint stripper safe for pot metal? - by MrFixr55 - 05-20-2023, 11:55 AM