Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stewart Warner (previously "unknown") 1 tube regenerative radio

Some more progress on this one. The chassis was very simple but a bit rusty. I took it apart to clean it up some, of course, in the process I managed to break one of the coil connections for the trimmer/regen coil, but fortunately was able to get it repaired. Icon_rolleyes I found a replacement for the missing knob on eBay for a very reasonable price and while not an exact match does, I think, fit the bill pretty well (its the center knob in the picture).
The grid leak resistor has drifted and is 40% high (2.8Meg instead of 2.0Meg) but I decided to leave it alone for now. Here it is part way through the clean up process.
[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dnokn0bkwvnpfu....jpg?raw=1]

It all went back together OK. Some of the wiring connections are made with a small machine screw and nut. I wonder if this might have been some form of kit that the consumer put together. I hooked up the A+ as 2v and B+ as 45v. Since I did not know what frequency range this might receive in I used my modulated signal from my generator and coiled an output signal wire around the antenna wire a couple turns.
[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6cp70zq5hce4ft....jpg?raw=1]

I was able to hear the modulation tone through some period earphones (I know it was tone because the fellow who owned the signal gen before me modified it to be able to switch between two modulation frequencies...very convenient to be sure of what you are hearing) by adjusting the radio tuning capacitor to a specific spot and also adjusting the trimmer/regen coil to a specific spot. My generator was at 1.090 megc. I was also able to hear the modulation tone at other generator frequencies both above and below 1.09 but that seemed to be the loudest. If I moved the radio tuning capacitor to any other position I could not hear anything on any generator frequency. It was only the unique combination of radio tuning cap position plus regen position that I was able to hear the signal generator so I'm not sure things are working properly but at least I heard something. Any further advice is most welcome.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Unknown 1 tube regenerative radio - by TV MAN - 04-10-2023, 10:04 AM
RE: Unknown 1 tube regenerative radio - by Chas - 04-14-2023, 08:15 PM
RE: Unknown 1 tube regenerative radio - by morzh - 04-14-2023, 08:36 PM
RE: Unknown 1 tube regenerative radio - by morzh - 04-14-2023, 10:33 PM
RE: Unknown 1 tube regenerative radio - by klondike98 - 04-25-2023, 08:54 PM
RE: Unknown 1 tube regenerative radio - by GarySP - 04-26-2023, 07:58 PM
RE: Unknown 1 tube regenerative radio - by morzh - 04-28-2023, 08:52 AM