Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

National NC sixty special

This thread reminded me that I had not really checked over the one I had electrically. The caps were mostly chicklet style, but they were also a number of disk caps in it too. The black ones were not made by Sprague, they were "Pyramid" brand. In any event I threw a set of tubes in it (four were missing), connected a pair of new filter caps across the old ones, with test leads, and powered it up slow on a variac. In spite of the surface rust, and corrosion from mouse urine, it actually still worked, even even the old filter caps in the toilet roll (also Pyramid brand). I did have to spray the band switch though as it was flakey, I could not confirm whether the S.W bands were working properly as there is a lot of electromagnetic hash where I have the radio stored, probably one of the neighbors is using a China junk switchmode power gadget nearby, or the pole pig is dying. I have a feeling that those molded caps may be paper/mylar as I had some NOS ones that I ran across before, tested on a bridge at high voltage, and they still tested good. In any even the set is fairly complete, but rough due to the rust, and there is a hairline crack in the plastic around the headphone jack socket on the front. The front panel looks neat but using the same plastic piece for both the controls and the dial was a bad idea.
Regards
Arran

Messages In This Thread
National NC sixty special - by jcassity - 04-26-2023, 10:19 AM
RE: National NC sixty special - by Arran - 04-26-2023, 01:12 PM
RE: National NC sixty special - by jcassity - 04-26-2023, 02:02 PM
RE: National NC sixty special - by Arran - 04-26-2023, 11:19 PM