Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Setchell Carlson Model 427 fluctuating volume

Well after trying it for over 90 minutes this afternoon, it performed flawlessly. No hint of volume fluctuations, or crackling or popping. Nothing. I tried it at several different volume levels and, again, it didn't act up one bit.

I think the flushing I did last night with the WD-40 fast drying contact cleaner must've gotten the residual D5 out of the pot. I had tilted the chassis as I sprayed it inside so it could run out as I sprayed it in. Then used the compressed air to dry it and left it overnight. 

I will try it again several times but I think the pot is OK. 

So I learned something new that I hadn't previously encountered. And hopefully my experience will help others to be mindful of which DeOxit you use on your volume pots, and that if you inadvertently spray the wrong type inside, to consider that when troubleshooting intermittent audio problems as a possible culprit. 

Sometimes a mistake can be a helpful learning experience.... albeit a frustrating one in this case!  Icon_lol

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Messages In This Thread
462ron - by 462ron - 04-29-2023, 06:56 AM
RE: Setchell Carlson Model 427 fluctuating volume - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 04-30-2023, 06:07 PM