Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco AM FM Table radio circa early 60's?

I found this site looking for info on an old radio my parents had long ago.
I had seen a similar but slightly smaller radio for sale at a fleamarket recently that reminded me of that old radio
I no longer have that radio and have no idea what ever happened to it.
What stands out in my mind were a few things about it. First, it was a tube radio, with FM band, and I could have sworn it was AM/FM Stereo?
It had five knobs on it, they were clear plastic each one about 1 1/4" in diameter with gold centers.
The AM and FM dials were separate on opposiste sides of the dial on top. It had a maple finish with a burlap with gold specs in it for a speaker cover.

As a kid it was off limits, we weren't allowed within arms reach of that radio. It sat on the kitchen counter near where pop sat each morning.

The story I was told was that it was a wedding gift to my parents in the early 60's from my mother's boss. She worked for Philco from some time in the 1950's till the early 60's in Philadelphia.

Both my parents are long gone these days but after doing a rather long search online I couldn't find another one just like it.
Over all the years it was on that counter I don't think it ever had any issues, my dad would get up each morning, turn on the radio and let it warm up, start his coffee and head for the shower. He'd listen to the weather and news before heading out to work every day around 5am.
The radio at the fleamarket had a label with E976 on the back, the split dial is what reminded me of the one my parents had but the one in question was larger, probably 18-20" wide or so. I also believe there were  gold script style "Stereo" and 'Philco' emblems on the front grill.

Because mom worked for Philco before meeting my dad we had Philco everything, the TV, several clock radios, the refrigerator, and just about anything else that Philco made back then. The cabinet from the old console TV we had in the 60's is still here, my dad converted it to a side bar storage cabinet in the kitchen by adding three doors to it and a back. Its where they locked up the liqueur from us kids then. The one portable TV is still in the attic from the 1950's, it was put away there when it got fuzzy in favor of a new color TV in sometime in the late 70's. For a while, it lived inside the shell of the old console unit which had died in the late 60's and after several repair attempts they had combined the old portable and the console to save money I suppose.

I looked through various model lists and pics but found nothing that matched the radio we had back then, does anyone remember a top dial am fm table radio or know a possible model? I'd love to have one of those now just for kicks.

Messages In This Thread
Philco AM FM Table radio circa early 60's? - by retroroy - 07-24-2023, 07:25 AM