Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

41-255 SW LO problem - receiving on image frequencies

I'm using a counter with my generator for accuracy in setting test frequencies, and for monitoring what's going on in general I use the spectrum analyzer with a loop so I can see the generator's output in the air, as well as the LO. It appears that the radio is designed for LO above on 2.3-7 MHz and LO below on 9-12 MHz. I should mention that the LO is surprisingly strong - I don't need the analyzer lead to be near the radio to see it.
For a sanity check, I made sure the generator's output wasn't spurious or intentionally harmonic (well, it is by design above 32 MHz...). I also checked around the dial, and I can hear the same broadcasts just about 1 MHz apart (I assume 910 KHz). The higher frequency is always stronger, whereas the alignment instructions suggest it should be significantly weaker.
When I first restored the radio, I soldered the mechanical chassis connections for the trimmer assemblies because they appeared unstable (electrically) when performing alignments. Tonight, I went ahead and soldered the mechanical chassis connections for the terminal strips that use the chassis connected lug. If there are any critical rivets that I may be missing, let me know; I didn't see anything else that might require soldering.
One other possibly related problem is that there's no peak on the "aerial padder" designated "2", although I am extending the cabinet loop with 3 alligator clips to the antenna terminals.

Messages In This Thread
RE: 41-255 SW alignment problem/image frequencies - by jtiner - 10-20-2023, 09:01 PM